Erasure Club-The Erasure Italian Forum

Intervista a Andrew Laszlo

« Older   Newer »
MarcoSly
view post Posted on 18/11/2004, 19:47

in occasione della nuova edizione in dvd della trilogia di rambo in usa il direttore della fotografia del primo rambo ha rilasciato quest'intervista:

DVD Interview : Cinematographer Andrew Laszlo
Posted on Wed, 17-Nov-2004

To coincide with the release of "The Rambo Trilogy : Ultimate Collection" on DVD, Moviehole caught up with famed cinematographer Andrew Laszlo to talk about working on the first and finest entry in the series, "First Blood". In this Exclusive Interview, Laszlo talks with Clint Morris about Stallone, Sequels and Scary-stuff on the set on the "Poltergeist II" set.

Clint Morris : First Blood is a beautiful looking film. How did you achieve that look in the British Columbia Wilderness?

Andrew Laszlo : When I first visited some of our locations in British Columbia, what struck me was the lack of photographically acceptable light in the forests. Most in the production unit considered this a big disadvantage. I must admit it also scared me a bit at first, but on further consideration I came to the conclusion that with a bit of lab and pro-production help the forest scenes would be acceptable. That is to say, acceptable on a standard photographic scale, though not perfect within the boundaries of what was considered “good” photography at that time. I thought the imperfections would make the images more interesting. Indeed they turned out to be “moody” and unusual, which enhanced the story points of the film. In addition, the selection of the right filter combinations, using existing light to its best advantage, camera angles and the right pick of lenses all added up to the final look of the film. (See the chapters in It’s a Wrap and Every Frame a Rembrandt.)

Clint Morris : Can you talk about the alternate endings - as discussed on the set?

Andrew Laszlo : There were many discussions about an alternate ending. By the time we filmed the ending the movie was released with the consensus was that we had a good film on our hands, and that it would probably be successful enough to generate sequels. Because of that assumption, Rambo killing himself, or being killed by the guardsmen or the State Troopers would create difficulties with sequels. The film, in its original release, shows Rambo walking out of the Police Station, accompanied by Col. Trautman and a State Trooper officer. One suggestion was, I no longer remember the source, that we see a muzzle flash in the building and hear the report of a single shot. The connotations could be that Rambo killed himself, that Col.Trautman killed Rambo, or that Rambo killed Col. Trautman, or, somebody, perhaps a guardsman or a State Trooper killed Rambo.

Clint Morris : How long did it take you to write the books? enjoyable experience?

Andrew Laszlo : The time it takes to write a book depends on many considerations. The story comes first, than the plot, then how elaborate the mounting is. Added to the writing, time is needed for the publishing process; repeated and endless proof-readings and copyediting, designing the book and cover, and so on. The actual writing of It’s a Wrap, took about four months. Publishing the book took longer. Every Frame a Rembrandt took longer to write but was published quicker. The Rat Catcher, my new novel, took less than three months to write. Somehow it just happened. It was as if I was describing a movie. My current project will probably take a total of two years plus to write. But I love it. If anything, writing might be more enjoyable in some respects than cinematography. There are no limits. The imagination is allowed to soar.

Clint Morris : Did you notice any changes in Sly over the years?

Andrew Laszlo : Sylvester Stallone and I met occasionally on the Universal back lot or in one of the soundstages after First Blood, but, unfortunately we did not have another project together. This is regrettable as he and I had a very good personal and professional relationship. I liked him and considered him to be an exceptionally interesting, smart and intelligent person. I know this is not how he is described in some circles, but in reality he is a very good actor in the right roles (this applies to all actors). He is an accomplished writer of screenplays, and an accomplished director. I also happen to know that he has a very keen eye for photography. The changes I noticed in him were that he slimmed down some, though the muscles were still there, but he looked younger in subsequent films than he did in First Blood.

Clint Morris : Anything in "First Blood" you had wished had turned out better?

Andrew Laszlo : I don’t have any great regrets about First Blood. Of course there are regrets always, as one looks back on any project, but there are surprisingly few things I would have done differently in First Blood. Because the story is strong, the direction, dialogue and acting are superb, I have received very few comments on some visual continuity problems. I am referring to having snow in one cut, and having no snow in the following cut. But even this can come under my philosophy that even an imperfection, if it is interesting and unusual, can add to the visual values of a film.

Clint Morris : Tell me about your favourite scene in the movie?

Andrew Laszlo : My favorite scene in First Blood is the cave sequence. Of course this is a bit self serving, as it is the photography of this scene that makes it my favorite. It was difficult to do. It took a lot of preparation and an equally large amount of diplomacy and studio politics to be able to do it as you see it in the film. All of the shots in the entire sequence, with the exception of the very last shot, Rambo looking up at the sky above him through the escape hatch, were lit by the single torch Rambo carries through the cave. This was a very large and expensive set at that time, and Andy Vajna, the films producer, rightfully wanted to know, “how the audience was going to see the very beautiful and interesting detail of an expensive set, if it wasn’t going to be fully illuminated? My position was that the audience should see the set, the cave with all its beauty, interests and dangers—hundreds of rats—as Rambo sees it, in the light of his torch. I felt that the darkness, the visual revelations of the flames was more pictorial and interesting than lighting up the set in the style of an old-fashioned studio set. In the end everyone agreed that this was the right decision. (This is described in detail in It’s a Wrap and Every Frame a Rembrandt.)

Clint Morris : "Poltergeist II" would've been an interesting experience. Can you tell me a bit working on the notorious production?

Andrew Laszlo : One of these days, Poltergeist II will be a book by itself. Both of my film books, Every Frame A Rembrandt and It’s a Wrap deal with multiple subject matter, thought sharing the same editorial objectives. Poltergeist II was so different, there were so many unusual—oddball might be a better way to describe it—aspects to doing that film that talking about it here, in a nutshell, and doing justice to the subject matter, is just not possible. But I will mention one aspect. That film has become known as a film that was plagued with disasters. Indeed, some in the cast died. The set of the cave scene was said to be haunted by spirits because it was discovered that the skeletons, unlike the fake skeletons on any other movies set, were real. Will Sampson, our Indian actor, who was a tribal shaman, exorcised the set, before he, and a number of other actors and crew members would work on the set. One of these days, the whole story might be told.

Clint Morris : What are you working on at the moment?

Andrew Laszlo : Though I have retired from cinematography, if a great script, such as First Blood, or Poltergeist II would come my way, I would consider it. My main interest currently, aside from fly-fishing, is writing. My second novel, The Rat Catcher came out this fall and is currently being read in Hollywood. To date I’ve written three novels, published two, and am currently working on a very ambitious historical novel, which will probably take another year to complete. Writing has become a fulltime, second career for me.

Clint Morris : Now I can't let you go without asking about the status of a "Rambo 4". What can you tell us?

Andrew Laszlo : I have no information about “Rambo 4”. As I understand it though, some of the sequels were exceptionally successful.

Buy The Rambo Trilogy : Ultimate Collection
Buy Andrew's book Every Frame a Rembrandt: Art and Practice of Cinematography
Buy Andrew's book It's a Wrap!

http://craigzablo.proboards18.com/index.cg...&num=1100674486

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4561.html

0 replies since 18/11/2004, 19:47   81 views