Erasure Club-The Erasure Italian Forum

I migliori film sullo sport: altra classifica, Rocky sempre in testa seguito da Victory!!

« Older   Newer »
MarcoSly
view post Posted on 17/7/2004, 15:15

http://craigzablo.proboards18.com/index.cg...&num=1089998656

Found here: http://www.redwoodfallsgazette.com/article.../news/news5.txt

Rocky, still the best ever
By Dan Burdett

Recently, Ben authored a commentary in the sports section regarding his take on the ten greatest sports movies of the past 25 years after ESPN had compiled its version of the same list. His article got my tiny brain spinning, and I wanted to offer my two-cents worth on the debate. I, however, have chosen to list the greatest sports movies of all-time, missing from said Stoterau-ESPN lists. They are as follows, beginning with number 10:

10) Mean Machine (2002) - Former Wimbledon Utd. defender Vinnie Jones plays a disgraced England soccer captain sent to prison for beating a cop. While in prison, he organizes a game between the convicts and the guards. The film is a loose remake of the Longest Yard.

9) The Longest Yard (1974) - Starring Burt Reynolds in the role later inhabited by Jones. In the original, the lead is a disgraced quarterback. The outcome however remains the same.

8) Escape to Victory (1981) - Sylvester Stallone plays a goalie and Michael Caine a coach in another soccer-themed and underrated classic, this time set in a Nazi POW camp during World War II. The concluding match with the German guards foreshadows a daring escape attempt. Soccer legends Pele, Bobby Moore and Ossie Ardiles all have cameos.

7) Rocky IV (1985) - It's camp, sure, but at the height of the Cold War, who couldn't smile at a revenge-riddled Rocky Balboa (Stallone) pummeling a seemingly indestructible Soviet fighter with a taste for steroids (Dolph Lundgren?)

6) For Love of the Game (1999) - Again, camp, but Kevin Costner is awesome as an ageing pitcher who hurls a perfect game against those d**n Yankees while reminiscing the love of his life (the lovely Kelly Preston,) who prior to the game left him for a career in London.

5) Miracle (2004) - Kurt Russell inhabits Herb Brooks as if he was born for the role; 24 years later, the story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey team that captured Olympic gold remains inspiring ... even to a non-hockey fan like myself.

4) The Hustler (1961) - Paul Newman plays Eddie Felson, a role he would later reprise and win a Best Actor Oscar for, opposite Tom Cruise in the Color of Money. Eddie is a pool shark who meets his match in the giant form of Jackie Gleason, who plays the incomparable legend Minnesota Fats. Gleason was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

3) Bang The Drum Slowly (1973) - Robert De Niro shines as a dying hack of a catcher who suddenly embarks on the season of a lifetime.

2) Pride of the Yankees (1942) - Babe Ruth plays himself in this biopic of Lou Gehrig (Gary Cooper.) Enough said.

1) Rocky (1976) - No explanation really required. Simply, the greatest tale of an underdog garnering a shot at glory that has ever been penned. Nothing is close.

Sly83
view post Posted on 17/7/2004, 15:40

1) Rocky (1976) - No explanation really required

3/10 dei film sono del nostro

Edited by Sly83 - 17/7/2004, 16:43

Balboa 90
view post Posted on 19/7/2004, 21:33

mitico!!

MarcoSly
view post Posted on 11/8/2004, 23:08

Altra classifica su un altro giornale statunitense e anche stavolta Rocky è in testa seguito a ruota da fuga per la vittoria e compare poi anche R4 al 24° posto.

http://www.stallonezone.com/080104totalfilm.htm

This month's (issue 91) of TOTAL FILM lists The 25 Greatest Sports Movies (voted by filmgoers!) and guess who comes in at #1, #2 and #24?

You guessed it !!!

Here's a taste of what they had to say...

#1 ROCKY (1976) : A film about a palooka, made by a palooka-but it's your greatest sports movie of all time. The palooka being Sylvester Stallone, a bit-part guy who, like his character, made the most of his one shot.

"I was as marketable as tear gas, " recalls Stallone. "Nobody wanted me, but I wasn't about to let this thing go." His tenacity paid off -- three Oscars, $220-million worldwide and a string of sequels that made him one of Hollywood's most bankable stars.

#2 ESCAPE TO VICTORY (1981) : It's a fairytale football for those who want to believe--in jumpers for goalposts, sudden- death penalty saves and Caine's man's-man persona, epitomized by his advice to the soccer stars nervous about [ "Once I'd said to them:' Come on, don't worry about it, just say say the lines!' ].

#24 ROCKY IV (1985) : It's the only Rocky movie that doesn't feature Bill Conti's score-it returns in Rocky V -yet, of the four sequels, you voted it the one challenger to the John G. Avildsen's big-hitting original.

view post Posted on 5/6/2007, 15:21

Membro effettivo della band

Group:

peccato non ci siano anke Rocky 3 e Over the Top nella classifica, meritano veramente! :javascript:add_smilie(:pesi:

Web Contacts  Top
6 replies since 17/7/2004, 15:15   286 views